Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Memento

 

Memento Sculpture

 Wood, White paint, Ash (Wood-burning) 

3 x 1 1/2


 
Artist Statement

       The Memento Sculpture reflects on a memory of my sister and I in "our spot."  Behind my childhood home, there was a perfectly tiny cherry blossom tree branch only our small bodies could climb onto, seated side-by-side.  One day, I remember vividly escaping yard work with my dad and splashing in the mud puddles behind our house.  My sister and I darted for the hidden tree nook and light pink and white cherry blossoms framed our mud-splattered faces.  Inspired by the mud and cherry blossoms, I included wood-burned spots on the sculpture in the shape of flowers.  I also carved the piece, from a rectangular block of wood, to imitate the smooth texture and tear-drop shape of flower petals.  The memory makes me think of pastel, light colors so I covered it in a thin wash of white paint.  The sculpture reminds me of being young and free.  I am transported back into that sacred space which now only exists in my memory as the tree was cut down.  

In-Process

 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Park Sculpture

  Theme Park Sculpture  Wood, Paint, Cardboard, Masking Tape, Red and Orange String 14 x 14 x 3 1/2    Artist Statement                     ...